Morning Glory Muffins
Posted on October 22nd, 2021
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (spoon & leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable, canola oil, or melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened smooth applesauce
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 1/3 cup orange juice or pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 4 large)
- 1 cup shredded/grated apple (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup unsalted chopped pecans or your favorite nut
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or use greased/sprayed cupcake liners. This recipe yields 14-16 muffins, so prepare a second muffin pan in the same manner or bake in batches and reserve leftover batter at room temperature for when the first batch is done.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, brown sugar, honey, oil, applesauce, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla together until combined. Whisk in the carrots and apples.
- Pour these wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir a few times with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, then add the raisins and pecans, if using. Fold everything together just until combined and no pockets of flour remain, but don’t overmix (tough muffins!)
- Spoon the batter into liners, filling them all the way to the top. Bake for 5 minutes at 425 then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake for an additional 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total time these muffins take in the oven is about 23-24 minutes, give or take. (For mini muffins, bake 13-14 total minutes at 350°F the whole time. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool until ready to eat.
- Cover leftover muffins and store at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 1 week.