Broccoli Cheddar Soup
It’s soup weather! Make this delicious soup in about 45 minutes, serve with bread and a salad. It’s tastier, easier and healthier than going out.
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika or ground nutmeg
- 3 cups broccoli florets or 1 large head, cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 2 cups half & half or milk or light or heavy cream
- 8 ounces block grated cheddar cheese or 2 cups pre-shredded (mild, medium, or sharp)
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened and light gold. Add the garlic and sauté just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Don’t burn it!
- Add flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes or until the flour begins to turn golden in color. Pour in the chicken stock, broccoli florets, carrots, and seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the broccoli and carrots are cooked through.
- Stir in half & half and cheddar cheese and simmer for another minute. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.