FoodShare SC’s Advocacy efforts seek to engage in dialogues and advocacy with our elected officials, leveraging our state-wide network and their unique needs and concerns.
We are also working to tighten our coalition building efforts with like-minded organizations across the state and the nation.
In 2021 we:
- Supported our Hub partners across the state in advocating for American Rescue Plan dollars allocated to county and city councils to be used towards helping families with food access issues in their regions.
- Advocated for State allocated ARP money to be used to assist families with food access, and setup a grant fund for non-profit work across the state
- Organized the “Columbia Candidate Forum on Food Justice” hosted by Judi Gatson of WIS. All the candidates running for the 2021 City of Columbia election participated and it was an opportunity for community members to discuss food justice issues with them
- Hosted 4 Hub launches (Laurens, Williamsburg, Marlboro, Georgetown), and two hub one year anniversaries (Chesterfield, Lancaster) where community members and elected officials could celebrate their community
- Deeper engagement with coalitions across the state and county: South Carolina Hunger Benefit Advocacy Coalition, State Nutrition Action Coalition (SNAC), Columbia Food Policy Committee, South Carolina Food Policy Council, West Columbia Food Policy Committee, SC Roadmap to Food Security Learning Collaborative, Voices for Healthy Kids SNAP Incentive Affinity Group, Nutrition Incentive Hub State Funding Community of Practice