With the holidays upon us you might be swarmed with family to cook for or invited to a potluck style dinner, and you’re probably thinking what on earth am I going to make that’s healthy AND easy?! Well look no further than these super quick, cheap, and veggie packed meatballs to top your spaghetti/ spaghetti squash (pictured)/ meatball sandwich/ stuff inside your lasagna/ really anything you could think of to add meat to. These babies take 35 mins start to finish, freeze incredibly well, get nice and crispy, and will help you use up some of those vegetables you’re sick of eating in plain old salads.
Wondering what the heck za’atar is? I added this incredible middle eastern spice blend as a shoutout to my sister who’s in Israel and made it herself when she visited a za’atar farm? Something along those lines. You can find a recipe to make your own (it’s just thyme, sesame seeds, sumac, and salt) or pick it up at the store (I know it’s at Trader Joes). Feel free to sub in your favorite spices to make these little balls of joy your own. Enjoy!
Servings: 20 meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup flour (gluten free for me)
- 1 tbsp za’atar or spices of choice
- 1/2 tbsp salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Finely chop your spinach, onion, and garlic
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl (I eventually turned to using my hands to get the job done)
- Form 1-1.5 inch balls and place on a greased pan
- Stick in the oven for 30 mins