Black Bean & Avocado Lettuce Wraps
This salad makes great leftovers, as long as you reserve the almonds for just before serving.
- 1 14-ounce can of drained and rinsed black beans
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh tomato or tomatillo salsa
- 2 ripe, avocados, peeled, seeded and diced
- 8 large iceberg lettuce leaves
- As needed hot sauce, optional
- Sliced or diced onion, optional
- Place drained and rinsed black beans into pan, season with ground cumin.
- Cook beans until heated throughout.
- Place 1/4 of beans, salsa (or diced tomato), and diced avocado into one lettuce leaf.
- If using, top with colorful sliced or diced onions and season with hot sauce.
- Place a second leaf on top and roll it closed.
If desired, you can substitute 1/2 pound lean ground turkey of beef (4-7% fat) for the black beans. To prepare, coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Crumble ground meat into pan, season with ground cumin. Cook meat until browned and continue with Step 3.