Black Pepper Beef & Cabbage Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion, sliced
- 1/2 pound ground beef or sirloin strips
- 1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 carrots, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, and add oil. Sauté onion until soft but not brown. Add & sauté garlic for about 5 seconds, then add ground beef. Stir-fry until beef is evenly brown, 5 to 7 minutes; drain excess fat.
- Stir in cabbage and carrots, a few minutes later the peppers. Cook until vegetables are tender and beef is fully cooked. Stir in soy sauce. Mix together cornstarch and water, and stir in. Season with pepper; add salt to taste. Cook, stirring, until sauce has thickened. Serve over brown rice.