Braised Red Cabbage with Apple & Bacon
Besides making a raw, crunchy slaw with your red cabbage, you can make a nourishing, savory side dish for any hearty meal. This dish tenderizes the cabbage and sweetens it with apples, while bacon brings the salty surprise.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 head red cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, & chopped
- 3 to 4 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 cup low-sodium beef stock
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, optional
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, cabbage, vinegar, sugar, pepper, chopped apples, cooked & chopped bacon, and beef broth. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat, and cover.
- Cook for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, but otherwise keeping covered, until cabbage is tender. Taste and add caraway seeds, and salt, to your tastes.