Chickpea Salad Sandwich
If you’re trying to eat more plant-based meals but love sandwiches, try this! Chickpeas deliver on protein and fiber, while melding with the flavors of a creamy dressing.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 1/3 cup dill pickle slices, patted dry and chopped fine
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped fine
- 2 Tablespoons minced herbs of choice, parsley, dill or tarragon
- 2 cups baby spinach, about 2 ounces
- 1 tomato, sliced thin
- 12 slices hearty 100% whole-grain sandwich bread
Process 3/4 cup chickpeas, mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in food processor about 30 seconds or mash by hand until smooth. Scrape down sides as needed.
Add remaining chickpeas to food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped with some larger pieces remaining, about 4 pulses. By hand, smash remaining chickpeas on a cutting board with flat edge of a large knife.
- Combine chickpea mixture, celery, pickles, onion and parsley in a large bowl and season with salt & pepper, tasting to check.
- Spread chickpea mixture over 6 slices of bread, top with tomatoes and spinach. Top with remaining slices of bread & serve.
Source: America’s Test Kitchen Nutritious Delicious