Collard Greens Pesto
This Southern twist on an Italian classic is great on pasta or salads. You can serve it with spaghetti squash instead of traditional pasta to keep the carbs low.
- 3 cups stemmed and chopped collard greens
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup, divided olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a blender or food processor, combine the pecans, garlic, 1/4 cup of the oil, the cheese, lemon zest, and lemon juice and blend until combined.
- Add the collard greens a handful at a time and blend to combine.
- Slowly pour the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil while the blender is running at a low speed, until the pesto reaches desired consistency.
- Add the pepper and blend one final time for a few seconds.
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container; pour a thin layer of olive oil on top of the pesto to prevent discoloration. Refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
Source: A FoodShare Kitchen original recipe