Easy Pear Cobbler
- 3 to 4 cups sliced fresh pears, about 3 medium pears
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 4 ounces (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all- purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk (whole or low-fat)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts), optional
- Ice cream, for serving, optional
- Whipped cream, for serving, optional
- Pre heat oven to 325 F and place the rack in the middle. In a large bowl, mix the pears with 1/2 cup of the sugar and let stand.
- Put the butter in a 2-quart baking dish and place in the oven until melted, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Whisk together the milk and egg in a separate small mixing bowl.
- Slowly combine the milk and egg mixture with the dry ingredients to make a batter.
- Pour the batter over the melted butter. Do not stir.
- Spoon the sliced pears over the batter. Do not stir.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts, if using.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until nicely browned and the pears are tender. If the topping appears to be browning, cover the dish with foil and continue baking until the pears are tender.
- Remove the cobbler from the oven and set it on a rack to cool slightly. Enjoy the cobbler hot or cold with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.