Fluffy Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 cups white or regular whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup melted vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs, preferably at room temperature
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest from 1 medium orange (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease all 12 cups of your muffin tin or line them with papers, if necessary.
- In a food processor, process the cranberries for about 5 seconds, until they are broken into little bits (but not puréed).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil and honey and beat together with a whisk. Add the eggs and whisk to combine, then add the yogurt, vanilla and orange zest. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a big spoon, just until combined (a few lumps are ok). Gently fold the cranberry pieces into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups (they will be quite full). Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with sugar. Bake the muffins for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool.
- Store, covered, at room temperature for 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freeze leftover muffins for up to 3 months.