- 1 1/4 cups regular rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Fresh strawberries (optional)
- Bottled light pancake syrup (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine oats, whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with a fork; stir in buttermilk, oil, honey, and vanilla. Add egg white mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Cover batter; allow to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes to slightly soften oats.
- Coat an unheated griddle or heavy skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium-high heat. For each pancake, pour about ¼ cup of the batter onto the hot griddle or skillet. Spread batter into a circle about 4 inches in diameter. Cook over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until the pancakes are golden, turning to cook second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. If desired, garnish with strawberry fans and serve pancakes with strawberry syrup.