Low Sodium Hot Tamale Pie
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2-15-ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1 cup salt-free pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt-free chili seasoning
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sodium-free baking powder
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a deep dish pie pan lightly with oil and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saute pan. Add the onion and garlic and saute 2 minutes. Add remaining filling ingredients and saute 2-3 minutes more. Remove from heat and transfer filling to the prepared pie pan. Set aside.
- Measure the cornmeal, flour, and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the nondairy milk, oil, and maple syrup and stir well to combine. Pour batter over the filling in the pie pan and smooth to even.
- Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake until golden brown, 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.