Low Sodium Pasta Primavera
- 8 ounces elbow or gemelli wheat pasta, dry
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced in half moons (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced in half moons (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine (or white grape juice)
- juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon) + 1/2 teaspoon zest
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente. Remove with a slotted spoon, and reserve in a bowl. Do not drain the pasta water.
- Bring the water back up to a boil and cook the broccoli, carrots, and bell pepper slices until they are bright and tender crisp, 2 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil, onions, and garlic. Cook until the onions are soft, 4-6 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes and continue cooking until they begin to soften, 2-4 minutes.
- Adjust the heat to medium-high and add the peas, the set-aside vegetables, the cooking wine, lemon juice, and lemon zest and simmer until the sauce slightly thickens, 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the set-aside cooked pasta, the cheese, and parsley to the skillet.
- Toss gently with tongs to evenly coat all the ingredients in the sauce, and serve hot.