Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potato casserole is a Thanksgiving staple, and here’s another way to adapt this classic recipe to be diabetes-friendly: Blend mashed sweet potatoes with plain yogurt.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 3 tablespoons non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pierce each sweet potato several times with a knife and place them on a aluminum foil lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until sweet potatoes are very tender when pierced with a fork (about 1 hour).
- Remove from the oven and let cool until able to handle.
- Remove skins from sweet potatoes if desired and add them to a large bowl along with remaining ingredients.
- Using an immersion blender or potato masher, blend all ingredients together until sweet potatoes are completed mashed.