Massaged Kale, Strawberry & Feta Salad
To make kale tender enough to eat like a salad, you can give it the hands-on treatment of a massage! (Also good for kids to get involved with dinner prep!) Make the dressing and pour it over your washed and dried leaves, then rub and massage the dressing into the leaves until the color turns from a dull green to a bright green. Don’t massage too much or you’ll get too bruised and dark leaves.
- 4 cups kale, rinsed, stems and ribs removed, leaves torn to bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, separate 2 Tablespoons
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed & sliced
- 3/4 cup carrot, grated
- 2 Tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons basil, chiffonade (ribbon cut)
- 2 small garlic cloves, super finely minced
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Add rinsed and dried kale, it’s important the leaves are dry so they can absorb the oil and lemon juice.
- Massage gently, thinking about how good this will taste and all the nutrition it’s bringing to your insides, for about 3-5 minutes. The leaves should turn a brighter, glossy green and feel more tender than when you started.
- Toss in the strawberries, carrot and feta.
- In a separate small bowl or jelly jar with lid, mix the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil and a pinch of salt.
- Toss the salad with dressing just before serving.
Make this salad a complete meal by adding a bean and grain of your choice. Beans, Greens and Grains is a great formula for a filling salad. Try quinoa and great white northern beans.