Peach Blackberry Crisp
- 1 3/4 pounds thawed from frozen peaches
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 ounces (2 cups) blackberries
- 3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (don’t use instant!)
- 1/2 cups pecans or nuts of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375° and adjust a rack to the middle position.
- Toss peaches in a bowl with sugar and salt. Let sit for 30 minutes. They’ll get juicy!
- After 30 minutes, add cornstarch, orange zest, and vanilla. Transfer to 8-inch square baking dish and top with blackberries. Set on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil to catch the drips.
- Make topping by whisking together brown sugar, melted butter, milk, cinnamon, slat and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Use a rubber spatula to fold in flour, oats and nuts. The mixture will be thick but cohesive.
- Pinch the topping into 1/2-inch pieces over the filling.
- Bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned, 25-30 minutes. Let cool about 25 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Naturally Sweet by America’s Test Kitchen