Peter Piper’s Eggcelent Breakfast
You see that pepper in your food box? Well I see a great bowl for just about anything! Today I wanted to make something breakfast/ brunchy because I would eat breakfast foods for every single meal if I could. This dish makes an eggcelent brunch dish that is sure to impress any kids or guests! I was inspired by a grits bowl I had up in Durham, NC at Watts Grocery, highly recommend if you’re in the area, where I was able to pack my grits with bacon, cheese, vegetables, and even have an egg on top. So what better way to use your food box than put the vegetables on the outside of the dish? The peppers get nice and soft and the egg hardens up, making the perfect combo, and then you get the bacon. Bacon is always a good idea, unless your vegetarian and then it’s an easy switch for more vegetables or even tofu. For my allergy folks this is already gluten free and dairy free, so you won’t want to miss this. Not allergic and want to add some gluten? Try some toasted bread to dip into your egg! Want some dairy? Sprinkle your favorite cheese. Make this recipe your own and let me know how you like it!
Full time: 35-40 mins
1 green pepper- the larger the better to leave space for the egg
1 packet of instant grits
1 piece of bacon
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut pepper in half and core out seeds and inside wedges to get a hollow boat, and bake for 20 mins
- While pepper cooks microwave/ cook grits as directed and bacon to desired crisp, and cut and mix bacon into grits
- Take out peppers and spoon in bacon and grits mixture, pushing up the sides and leaving an indent in the center. This is CRUCIAL or the egg will just pour out of the pepper
- Crack egg in bowl, and run knife around yolk and white to seperate the white from the yolk a little bit. This makes it easier to pour the yolk seperately. Gently pour into indent until it looks like it will run over
- Pour remaining white into the other half of pepper, and top with salt and pepper
- Place filled pepper halves back in oven and bake for 15-17 more minutes until egg is cooked
- Remove and let cool and top with desired sprinkles of herbs, cheese, avocado, pepper flakes, hot sauce etc.
And don’t forget to follow @FoodShare_Columbia on instagram!