Quick-Pickled Red Onions
These quick pickled red onions are easy to make in 30 minutes with just 5 ingredients. See notes for extra seasonings that you are welcome to add in too. This recipe yields 2 cups and can be stored for up to two weeks!
- 1 large red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1–2 Tablespoons sweetener (such as maple syrup, honey, sugar, etc.)
- In a small saucepan, stir together the vinegar, water, salt and desired amount of sweetener. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture reaches a simmer. (Or alternately, heat the mixture in the microwave.)
- Place the thinly-sliced onions in a mason jar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions, screw on the lid, and shake the onions briefly until they are evenly coated with the vinegar mixture.
- Let the onions marinate for 30 minutes. (You may need to press the onions down with a spoon so that they are all submerged under the vinegar mixture.)
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate the onions in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
- Make it spicy with sliced fresh habañero peppers. For for a milder dose of heat, add in a slice or two of jalapeño peppers, or a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Make it garlicky with a clove or two of thinly sliced garlic.
- Make it peppery with a few whole peppercorns or a few twists of freshly cracked black pepper.