Red, White, and Blueberries
With so many fruits in this box it would almost be a crime to not do a fruit salad. And with 4th of July just around the corner, and all of the heat already here in Columbia, it’s a win win win win win. But everyone knows how to do a fruit salad, so how do I make it a little more interesting for this special holiday coming up??? Make the entire dish edible! Including the “dish.” Kids will love this, and I can just see a whole line of stuffed apples looking absolutely beautiful at your 4th of July celebration. Add in your mangoes and grapes if you’re not too concerned about the color scheme. And you can even try sprinkling some chili pepper on it to wake up your taste buds and bring out the sweetness in the fruit- I promise, it’s a thing. Enjoy and happy 4th!
- 2 apples
- 1 peach
- 1 banana
- large handful of blueberries
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- Cut off the tops of the apple, just so that you slice through the whole thing and remove the stem
- Use your knife to core out the inside as best you can. I switched between knife and spoon to loosen things and scoop it out
- Cut a little square around the bottom stem (? not sure what you actually call this) because you won’t want to eat that when you’re chomping down the whole thing
- Sprinkle lemon or lime juice on cored out apples while you chop up apple inside, banana, and peach to desired bits
- Add in blueberries and sprinkle mixture with coconut (the more the merrier in my opinion) and stuff those apples!
- Your filling will overflow, but it makes for an even nicer looking dish, and you could treat it like a little fruit salsa and eat with chips or crackers- add in some cheese and now we’re talking!