Roasted Carrot Dip
This dip is great for bringing out more flavor from carrots and building up healthful consumption of more vegetables! Make a plate of colorful vegetables to try in this healthy dip; celery, radishes, cucumber, peppers and even apples.
- 1 pound carrots, thoroughly washed. Do not peel.
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Place carrots in a large aluminum foil pouch. Add garlic and 1 tablespoon of oil, season with the salt. Place on a baking sheet and roast until the carrots are tender and a knife inserted goes right through. About 40 minutes.
- Transfer contents of the foil pouch to a food processor and pulse to chop. Add the remaining two tablespoons of oil, the rinsed chickpeas, peanut butter and lemon juice. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Taste and season with more salt, if needed.
To add more flavor and spice, when roasting the carrots, add combinations of 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of any of the following spices: smoked paprika, ground coriander, ground cumin, and/or pinch of cayenne pepper.
Source: The Rise: Black Cooks and the Soul of American Food by Marcus Samuelson