Savory Roasted Bok Choy
- 12 to 16 ounces bok choy, rinsed well
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed with the flat side of a chef’s knife or minced
- 1 slice ginger, smashed with the flat side of a chef’s knife or minced
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, (optional, to taste)
- 1-2 medium carrots, grated
- Brown rice for serving
- Prep and measure all ingredients in advance of starting. At Step 5, this recipe moves FAST!
- Slice bok choy lengthwise into quarters or halves, about 2 inches thick. Rinse well, down towards the root and then shake off as much water as possible.
- In a small bowl, combine broth or water, sherry, soy sauce, cornstarch and stir well.
- In a large sauté pan, add the oil over high heat and swirl until it becomes glossy over the bottom and sides of the pan.
- FAST STEPS: Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 10 seconds, just until you can smell it. Quickly add all the bok choy. Sprinkle with salt and sugar. Cook for 30 seconds without moving the bok choy. Then add the broth-soy sauce-cornstarch mixture and toss to coat, moving it all around the pan for about 1-2 minutes. If you have bigger bok choy it will be a minute or so longer.
- Add grated carrots for a touch of sweetness, sprinkle with sesame seeds if using and serve over brown rice.