Sesame Ginger Broccoli
- 1 pound broccoli (1-2 heads), broken into 1-inch florets
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped small or one shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 teaspoons Sesame seeds, black or white
- Toast sesame seeds by placing a small skillet over medium high heat and adding the sesame seeds. Toast until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 3-5 minutes. Immediately remove seeds from the pan to prevent burning (the hot pan will continue to toast the seeds after you turn off the heat).
- In a medium sauce pot, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the shallot or onion and cook until translucent, about 1 minute. Avoid browning!
- Add broccoli, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add soy sauce, water, and red pepper flakes (optional). Cover the pan with a lid. Allow to steam until broccoli is bright green and tender, but not mushy, about 1 minute. Add more water if necessary to finish cooking broccoli to desired doneness.
- Turn off the heat and toss in the sesame seeds. Serve warm.