Simple Smothered Potatoes
These simple smothered potatoes soak up the flavors of onion, broth and thyme as they cook in a cast-iron skillet. Be sure your cast-iron pan is well seasoned to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the pan once the liquid is absorbed.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup halved and sliced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
- Snipped chives for garnish
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes in an even layer and return to a simmer; cover and cook, stirring every 5 minutes and reducing heat to maintain a gentle simmer, until the potatoes are tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chives, if desired.