Slow-Cooker Turkey Picadillo
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups chopped seeded bell peppers
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bison (or beef) and sausage and cook, breaking up the bison (or beef) with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 6 minutes. If necessary, transfer to a colander and drain any extra fat, then return to the skillet.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and cinnamon; cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in water, tomato paste and vinegar until combined.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in onion, peppers, corn, olives and garlic. Add tomatoes with their juice.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 7 to 8 hours. Stir the picadillo to combine and season with salt and pepper.