- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup red or yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked turkey or chicken, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
- In a 12-inch skillet cook and stir mushrooms, sweet pepper, onion and garlic in hot butter or oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, salt, thyme and black pepper. Slowly stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in spinach, rice, turkey and ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon mixture into a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, covered, in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake about 10 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.